9.3.12

Hugh Laurie & Ellen Degeneres: the British accent vs the American



- Now, I’m gonna give you some slangs, some American slang. We’re gonna take turns, we'll see how much you know and how much I know.
- OK. 
- OK? The first one I’m gonna give you isflossing. Do you know what flossing means?
- You mean actually flossing?
- No! It's slang. 
- It’s slang. 
-  I...you... I mean, You do know what actual flossing is.
- I know. I know the American’s opinion of British dental practice. But yes, I do know what that is.
- Flossing. 
- That would be something close-fittingand...uh… no. I know.  I don’t know… 
- No. Oh, there was...
- That would be...
- That was to really show you how wrong you were!
- Wait. That’s kind of rubbing it in, that's sort of aggressive. 
- Yeah, really, it was aggressive. I’m sorry, 'cause I could’ve just say no. But we just... in America we like to really rub it in. 
- With a Claxon! 
- Ah, it’s showing off, flossing. 
- Really? 
- Yeah, showing off is flossing! 
- OK.
- Yes! 
- All right! What sound does it make when you’re right? It’s a... it's buzz...
- Ding! Like that! Yea. Which is... it's probably a different sound in England. 
- It is, yeah. Well, whatever right’s in England…

- Shin Wag! shin wag! ++++ say again. 
- Shin Wag? 
- Yeah! 
- That would be… uh.. uh.. a blundering idiot! A shin wag. You shin wag! No? 
- No! It's... it’s actually, it's... it's a verb, and it means to chat, literally to-to wag your chin. It's actually very literal... it’s not very...
- Shin wag! 
- Chin, chin, chin wag. Did I mispronounce it? 
- I think that’s why... I would’ve never gotten it wrong. 
- Oooh…. 
- I just couldn’t understand the thick British accent. 
- Should we look at that in slow motion? 
- Yeah. chin wag, of course! 
- Yes.
- That does sound like.., all right! 
- So we’re tied? 
- Yes! Tied at nothing. 

- Ba-donka-donk! 
- Means to pass someone on a motorcycle and then see a police car and brake suddenly, right?... No.
- It’s an extremely curvaceous female behind
- Right! 
- Ba-donka-donk! 
- Right. We definitively don’t have those in ++++.
- You don’t have? 
- No, Is it Ba...Ba-donk-…. Ba-donka-donk!
- Ba-donka-donk.
- It’s a fantastic word! 
- Ain't it great? You'll use it from now on! … I enjoy your Ba-donka-donk, honey! All right? 
- That’s fantastic. 

- Shuffed to bits! 
- Chuft...?
- Shuffed to bits. 
- Shuft to bits. 
- Chuffed.
- Chuffed.
- Yeah.
- Like "chin"?
- Yes, if you like...
- Chuffed to bits.
- Yeah.
- Oh, just exhausted! 
- No, no! It’s-it's to be really pleased, to be really pleased by..., to be thrilled by something. I’m chuffed to bits! 
- That’s what I meant. 
- I’m really delight by... 
Fine.
- Chuffed to bits by... 
- Alright.
- I would be chuffed to bits by your ba-donka-donk, for example. 
- Yes… we’re gonna end on this one because everyone has learned this watching the show cause I’ve helped them. 

Shawty
- Shawdy? 
- Shawty.
- Uh...
- Shawty. Shawty had them Apple Bottom jeans, boots with the fur. 
- Uhm...
- Shawty had them baggy sweat pants, Reeboks with the straps... turn around and give them… 
- Is this all one word? 
- Shawty.
- Right.
- She hit the floor, she hit the floor… 
- Yeah, none of this is helping! 
- Shawty got low low low low... 
- No. I'm not gonna...
- Shawty is a young kid or a woman. 
- Really? 
Yep
- I wouldn't know.
- No.