25.9.15

Idioms About Money with Examples and Explanations

Slang words for money by MyEnglishTeacher.eu

Embed this infographic on your site.
A piece of the pie - a share of something like money or profits. 
- If you invest in my company, you will get a big piece of the pie.
- I just found $20 on the street, so do you want a piece of the pie?
Smackers/clams/bucks/bones (noun, always plural) – money, especially American dollars.
- What would you do if you had 20 million smackers?
- That dude owes me 500 smackers, so I’m going to pay him a visit tonight!
Paper/cream/grip/dough/bread/bank/bacon/cheddar/cheese/gravy (noun, always singular) – money.
- You need a lot of paper to buy a new car. With your bad credit, no bank is gonna lend you paper.
Make paper / make bank (idiom) – to make a lot of money.
- Look at me now! I’m making paper! They girls didn’t like me in middle school, but now they can’t get enough of me because I’m making bank.
Make coin (idiom) – to make money, but not necessarily a lot of money.
- I make some good coin at the restaurant. I’m not wealthy, but it’s enough.
The letters K and G - $1,000.
- A new car cost about 30 Gs. 
Gravy train (noun) – a situation where a person makes a lot of money.
- I have been selling towels to tourists, and it is a huge gravy train!
- You are not living rent-free any more. The gravy train stops rights here and you will pay rent!!
Bring home the bacon (idom) – to make money for your family to live on; to be very successful.
- Because John’s been in the hospital for 2 months, his wife has been bringing home the bacon.
- My university degree got me a great job, and I can finally bring home the bacon and support my family.
Benjamins  - $100 USD bill.
- It’s all about the Benjamins baby!